Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The LOL Rule

I do not use the term "lol"

Not only because it sounds like the filipino foul word "ulol" and not just because i find it awkward and insulting to use it when a friend (I chat with) is trying to make me laugh:

Friend: Knock knock!
Me: Who’s there?
Friend: Pork chop masarap lagyan mo ng ketchup.
Me: Pork chop masarap lagyan mo ng ketchup who?
Friend: (to the tune of ke$ha's Tick Tock) Pork chop masarap lagyan mo ng ketchup. Tonight I’mma fight ‘til we see the sunlight!
Me: Lol.

I do not use it simply because it kinda steals the zest of a laughter, if it ever has one.  "Lol" is kinda like an emotion stealer.  I mean, how hard could typing "hahaha" be?   In fact, when a person I chat with cracks me up, I type hahaha as long as the laugh (or even the smile) is with me.  So the longer my haha, the more "benta" the joke is to me.  Isn't that more rewarding to the other party?

Friend: Use SCHOOLING in a sentence.
Me: Okay, use it.
Friend: *Ring, ring*…..Hello? Who SCHOOLING?
Me: lol

VS. 

Friend: Use CONTEMPLATE in a sentence.
Me: Use it.
Friend: I went to a party last night. There was so much food pero co-CONTEMPLATE.
Me: hahahahahaha!! 

See the difference?! Haha!

Plus "lol"-ing is, more often than not, an exaggeration.  Add to it its relatives - lmao and rofl.  I don't know why and how people who have invented the terms have come to it, but I am darn sure whoever they are, they never really laughed their asses off or rolled on the floor laughing -- literally.  I mean, come on, who does that?!
I have nothing against the people who use it, but I just don't get it, sorry.  And don't even get me started on using "lol" in spoken communication. *tambling*

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails